Sunday 11 October 2009

Being Nice

Since going through a really hard and painful time in life, I've started to again be able to tell how good it feels to give to other people. Be in through a smile to the checkout girl, letting someone into the traffic lane, bringing someone a cake - it's all amazing!

And the absolute best thing is that it can take so little effort. And once you're nice to someone, the chances are that they'll be nice to someone else - or at least not mean (I suppose it depends how bad a mood they had been in). Niceness breeds niceness.

This could be such a big thing. Once you're nice to someone, you feel great. And they feel great. That's two people who are now probably going to go and be nice to other people. Who will then be nice to other people...you see where I'm heading. And the things you're nice with, don't just have to be smiling at the checkout girl. It could be spending an hour a month volunteering to visit an old person to chat. Or giving something away rather than taking it to the tip. Donating to charity. Clearing up your environment. Or planting daffodils.

I want that kind of feeling good in my life - I love seeing people smile and things become better because of me. I can't imagine anything more satisfying. I'm going to use this blog to write about nice things I've tried - how I did it, what it felt like. You can try them too! Let me know how they go! Together we could make this something really good :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment